An eligible CHAMPVA sponsor may be entitled to receive medical care through the VA health care system based on his or her own veteran status. Additionally, as the result of a recent policy change, if the eligible CHAMPVA sponsor is the spouse of another eligible CHAMPVA sponsor, both may now be eligible for CHAMPVA benefits. In each instance where the eligible spouse requires medical attention, he or she may choose the VA health care system or coverage under CHAMPVA for his/her health care needs. If you have been previously denied CHAMPVA benefits and you believe you would now be qualified, please submit an application following the guidelines as listed on the “How to apply” section.
Health Care Benefits for Dependents (CHAMPVA)
The Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veteran’s Affairs (VA) (CHAMPVA) is a comprehensive health care benefits program in which the VA shares the cost of covered health care services and supplies with eligible beneficiaries. The program is administered by the Chief Business Office Purchased Care located in Denver, Colorado. Due to the similarity between CHAMPVA and the TRICARE program (sometimes referred to by its old name, CHAMPUS) the two are often mistaken for each other. CHAMPVA is a VA program, whereas TRICARE is a DoD regionally-managed health care program for active duty and retired members of the uniformed services, their families, and survivors. In some cases a person may appear eligible for either program. However, anyone eligible for TRICARE is not eligible for CHAMPVA.
CHAMPVA Supplement Insurance Health at Low Premium
Most 100% disabled veterans are unaware their families may be eligible for a no cost health plan. CHAMPVA pays approxmately 75% of your family health care expenses for doctor office visits, hospitalization and prescriptions. You can go to most any doctors office or hospital. Our CHAMPVA Supplement pays the remaining 25%, giving your family 100% coverage; We make it complete. Cost ranges from $25.00-$76.00 a month.
CHAMPVA Supplemental Insurance
Yes, if you live or travel overseas (excluding Iraq, North Korea and Cuba), the supplement provides the same benefits as if you were in the U.S. Reimbursement for health care claims in foreign countries is based on reasonable and customary billed amounts. Your deductible and cost share will be the same as if you were in the U.S. Medicare does not provide benefits for services provided overseas. However, if you are 65 or over, you must enroll in Medicare Part B. CHAMPVA will continue as your primary benefit option for the period of time you are overseas. As a result, the CHAMPVA Supplement Plan will also continue. You will receive the same level of benefits provided to those under age 65.
TRICARE and CHAMPVA Supplemental Insurance for Veterans
CHAMPVA is a program sponsored the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) that helps pay for the cost of medical care. In order to be eligible for CHAMPVA, the individual cannot be eligible for TRICARE. CHAMPVA is available to the spouse or widow(er) and to the children of a 100% disabled veteran. While CHAMPVA helps pay for a portion of medical care, a supplemental insurance can help fill in the coverage gaps.
Health Administration Center and Non
You may be landing on this page as a result of trying to access information on the former Health Administration Center or the Non-VA Medical Care websites. We have moved the content from both information portals to a new website under the Chief Business Office Purchased Care (CBOPC) which administers both programs. The new CBOPC website offers a more organized and informative approach. Please update your bookmarks to reflect the new address of www.va.gov/purchasedcare.